Projectweek 12/10/2009 - 16/10/2009
Willem de Kooning Art Academy, Rotterdam, NL
It's the final presentation of a week-long workshop that I've been giving this week.
The theme of the assignment:
How to confuse the sense of smell and/or taste, by means of the visual sense?
(7) presentation by Fiona
- how it looks: perfume bottles with colored labels
- how it smells: different smells
(8) presentation by Stefan
- how it looks: freshly squeezed apple juice
- how it tastes: juice of tuna can
(9) presentation by Marisa
how it looks: a beautiful rose in a bottle
how it smells: fish
Very simple (positively) and strong work, because she used the gap between a nice smell and dirty smell. But why is the fish smell dirty? According to Japanese it's a smell that triggers appetite.
(10) presentation by Emmy-Koos
We got invited to the corridor >>> smells like cinnamon >>> there is an oven >>> we expect something.
The letter inside the oven betrays our expectation.
She has diffused the smell of apple pie, instead of baking an apple pie.
- how it smells: apple pie
- how it looks: looks like an apple pie is baked in the oven though...